Natural Ways To Avoid Teeth Discoloration
Everyone wants to keep their teeth pearly white. The only problem is that it can be hard to do. With all the different things we eat, teeth discoloration can be normal. The good news is that there are some things that you can do to help keep your pearly whites shiny and bright naturally.
1. Load up on Fruits and Veggies. Certain fruits and vegetables have natural whitening properties in them. Fruits such as lemon, strawberries, and oranges can help lighten teeth. On the other hand, vegetables like sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli and cucumbers have natural properties which can help break down the molecules that cause discoloration. Make sure to get a fair share of fruits and veggies regularly.
2. Brush It Away. One of the simplest ways to naturally get your teeth whiter is to simply brush your teeth regularly. Dentists recommend brushing your teeth at least twice a day after meals. Not only will this eliminate food particles which can cause bacteria and cavities to grow. It will also remove any substances from the food you eat which can change the color of your teeth.
3. Rub-a-dub-dub. Try exfoliating your teeth to get those stubborn stains away. Salt has been known to be a good exfoliating agent. Use our fingers to rub salt against teeth which are discolored. Baking soda can also used in place of salt. Mix baking soda with a bit of lime juice and salt to create a paste. Use this instead of regular toothpaste. The salt and baking soda will exfoliate and work with the lime juice to lighten the color of teeth.
4. Watch What You Eat. Certain foods can cause teeth to become discolored more than others. Carbonated drinks, coffee, tea, alcoholic beverages and fruits and vegetables with strong pigments may leave stains on teeth. Any food that can leave a stain on clothes is likely to stain your teeth as well. Avoid drinking and eating these or brush your teeth immediately after consuming any of these. A straw can also help prevent beverages from getting into direct contact with teeth.
5. Kick the Butt. Tobacco can be a huge culprit when it comes to teeth discoloration. Smoking or chewing tobacco will leave an initial stain on the surface of teeth. This can often be removed with cleaning and regular brushing. However as time goes by it can settle into teeth leaving a heavier stain. The best solution to avoid discolored teeth from tobacco is to quit smoking or stop chewing tobacco. Nicotine patches or artificial cigarettes are a much better option which will not leave any unwanted coloring on teeth.
6. Get Clean. Brushing your teeth is not enough to keep your pearly whites sparkly. Brushing alone may still leave dirt in hard to reach areas such as in between teeth. Of course, these will eventually lead to discoloration. Don’t be satisfied with brushing alone, make it a point to floss and use a gargle that can help remove any build-up. Not only will you have whiter teeth, you are also sure t have less cavities.
7. Skip the Sugar, Chew Gum. Chewing gum can actually help you keep your teeth looking whiter. That is if you chew sugarless gum. Chewing this after meals can help promote the production o saliva in the mouth. This has a cleansing action which can wash away food particles on the teeth as well as neutralize acids in the mouth.
For any questions regarding this article or to schedule your appointment, please contact our office at (516) 869-9787 or visit us at www.macabidental.com